nagios 3.06 installed but died

Rusty Hall rdhall01 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 17 21:53:02 CET 2009

    The first post went out beofre I was finished sorry
I have had nagios 3.x  up and running on this server for awhile!  I noticed this morning nagios was not running
[XXXX at dprmisnag572 nagios-3.0.6]# service nagios status
nagios is not running

I tried to restart using the validation
 /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg and I get back:

Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the pre-flight check
so I restart and get
Running configuration check...done.
Stopping nagios: /etc/init.d/nagios: line 67: kill: (397) - No such process
done.
Starting nagios: done.
then I go in and  do ps -A |grep nagios  and it returns  nothing for nagios
The user interface shows a pid for the process, and the checks are scheduled  just nothing running

I have no clue  what has happened I have validated permisions as far as I can  any help would be greatly appreciated

Rusty
rdhall01 at sbcglobal.net