New to Nagios - Need help with nagios.cfg

Eric Chatham echatham at broadvox.net
Mon Feb 16 23:58:55 CET 2009

[root@ ~ bin]# /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg

Nagios 3.0.6
Copyright (c) 1999-2008 Ethan Galstad (http://www.nagios.org)
Last Modified: 12-01-2008
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Error: Unexpected token or statement in file '/opt/nagios/etc/main/commands.cfg' on line 1.

***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config files...

     Check your configuration file(s) to ensure that they contain valid
     directives and data defintions.  If you are upgrading from a previous
     version of Nagios, you should be aware that some variables/definitions
     may have been removed or modified in this version.  Make sure to read
     the HTML documentation regarding the config files, as well as the
     'Whats New' section to find out what has changed.

Eric Chatham