New to Nagios - Need help with nagios.cfg

Eric Chatham echatham at broadvox.net
Mon Feb 16 21:58:22 CET 2009

Hello,

I'm very new to Nagios.  I'm running version Nagios 3.0.6 on CentOS RHEL 5.1. I used the FC6 instructions for my installation.  I've successfully installed the program per the Quick-start guide provided on the Website.  We presently have another server with an older version of Nagios installed.  It's using "cfg_dir=/opt/nagios/etc" as its location for all *.cfg giles.

Here's a problem: When I try to create an alternate directory (cfg_dir) in the nagios config file, I keep getting a CONFIG ERROR when I try to restart the service. I would like to use "cfg_dir=/opt/nagios/etc/main" to hold all the config files. Here is a list of that directory right now:

[root@ ~ main]# ls -l
total 68
-rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios  7714 Feb 13 16:55 commands.cfg
-rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios  2166 Feb 13 16:52 contacts.cfg
-rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios   240 Feb 13 14:28 hostgroups.cfg
-rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios   163 Feb 13 16:51 hosts.cfg
-rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios  2414 Feb 13 16:39 services.cfg
-rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios 10812 Feb 13 16:41 templates.cfg
-rwxrwxr-x 1 nagios nagios  3209 Feb 13 16:55 timeperiods.cfg
[root@ ~ main]# service nagios restart
Running configuration check... CONFIG ERROR!  Restart aborted.  Check your Nagios configuration.

I've hashed out all the other cfg in nagios.cfg to only use this directory.

[root@ ~ main]# grep cfg_ /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
# cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/commands.cfg
# cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/contacts.cfg
# cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/timeperiods.cfg
# cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/templates.cfg
# cfg_file=/opt/nagios/etc/commands.cfg
# cfg_file=/opt/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg
# cfg_file=/opt/nagios/etc/timeperiods.cfg
# cfg_file=/opt/nagios/etc/templates.cfg
# cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/localhost.cfg
cfg_dir=/opt/nagios/etc/main
#cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/windows.cfg
#cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/switch.cfg
#cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/printer.cfg
# extension) in a particular directory by using the cfg_dir
#cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/servers
#cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/printers
#cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/switches
#cfg_dir=/usr/local/nagios/etc/routers
# object configuration files (see the cfg_file and cfg_dir options above).

Please help!  Thanks.

Eric Chatham

CONFIDENTIAL. This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and should be destroyed and/or returned if you are not the intended and proper recipient.