nagios loses the state of some monitors

Uwe Bartels uwe.bartels at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 17:01:32 CET 2009

Hi Marc,

I found it.
The time between reload and start writing that config file was almost
nothing, so after reloading - nagios had problems already reading this file.
It probably was by then already empty. So I inserted a sleep 1 between
reload & rewriting that config file and .....
..... no PENDING state anymore.

Even If you didn't find it, you helped me by getting things clear and thus
being myself able to recheck better.

Thanks. Have nice weekend.
Uwe

2009/2/13 Marc Powell <marc at ena.com>

> Please always reply on list so that others may learn from your
> experience or offer insight. More below...
>
> On Feb 13, 2009, at 7:44 AM, Uwe Bartels wrote:
>
> > Hi Marc,
> >
> > thanks for your answer.
> > retain_status_information is set per default to 1 in the template
> > generic-service.
> > setting this parameter explicitely in the service definition of the
> > monitor which looses its state did not help either.
> >
> > - I set the parameter 'retain_status_information 1'
> > - reloaded
> > - and run my config procedure
> > -> state is again pending.
>
> Well, I've been doing the same thing as you under netsaint/nagios
> every hour for almost 8 years now and haven't experienced this. I'd be
> surprised if a new issue appeared with nagios-3 so I'm leaning more
> toward some config issue. Does retain_status_information appear in the
> service definition in objects.cache? Are you sure that the hostname/
> service_description are exactly the same between reloads? How about
> retain_nonstatus_information? Try enabling that. I'm not 100% certain
> which each controls but I use both.
>
> Also, just because it commonly causes strangeness, be sure you don't
> have multiple nagios daemons running at the same time.
>
> --
> Marc

> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco,
> CA
> Enterprise
> participation
> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code:
> SFAD
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H
> reporting any issue.

Uwe Bartels