Nagios-users Digest, Vol 33, Issue 11

Ian Orszaczki ian at griggle.net
Sat Feb 7 13:24:39 CET 2009

Hi, we just moved a Nagios 1.2 to Nagios 3 with 8500 service checks and 1200
host checks.

I experimented with PNP and had to offload the work to another server which
has been mentioned by others.

What I did was create a ramdisk on the Nagios server which stored the
performance data until it was batched off to the processing server (every
couple of minutes), then had it batched off to a server that only does the
graphing and web serving of the graphing pages. The maximum amount of
performance data lost if the Nagios server crashed was only a couple of
minutes.

So the service and host data check commands are just a script which -
* renames the data file with a date and time stamp
* checks whether the graphing server is up
*  scp's across any datafiles if it is and cleans up

No complex code, just a reverse proxy on the Nagios server so that when you
requested a graphing page it looked like it was being served from the Nagios
server itself.

Because I CNAME the graphing server, I can quickly move it to another server
running npcd.