PNP performance

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Fri Feb 6 22:01:38 CET 2009

> That's a thing that an eventbroker module never should do. Think about
> what a fork() does...

Yes, I know, but without forking, our scheduling was skewing way
beyond our 5 minute interval due to thousands of checks being sent
from the Nagios server to the report server .. so what choice did I
have? :)  OUr report server can handle thousands of XML files via TCP
a minute so we had to make that tradeoff.

Our data is being trended in a long term data warehouse so getting all
checks done as consistently as possible within a 5 minute interval
(all are scheduled at 5 min intervals) is critical for us.

So yes, fully aware that a NEB module should not do that but for us it
was exactly what we needed to keep the nagios scheduler from skewing
check execution times tremendously over a few hours.

>> * Set up NPCD on the second host.
>> * Use a small xinetd script to write out PNP records to the NPCD queue
>> (we will be releasing the one we have in place as well soon).
>>
> It would be nice if you can submit it against the latest pnp code and on
> the pnp4nagios-devel list.

definitely

> Same thing on my side. ~6000 Services, don't know exactly how many of
> them don't support performancedata, but I have <10 seconds avg latency
> in Nagios while running all pnp stuff on the same server.
> Will say: I can't see a problem for nagios, except of massiv IO load for
> the system.

We are going to be scaling to 5-10k+ hosts so we are being very
careful about not overloading our poller.

And, as with the modpnpsender  sending XML over a socket skewing
scheduling times for checks so that they spilled into the next 5
minute chck period over a few hours (leaving gaps on performance
graphs) as Nagios paused 5000 times every polling cycle for 5000 TCP
sends :p we had the same problem with having Nagios write to NPCD
queue on the Nagios polling server.

- Max