NRPE and redundant calls to remote hosts.

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 18:56:23 CET 2009

I've been adding a bunch of checks via NRPE on remote nodes and this got me
thinking. Isn't it inefficient to keep starting check_nrpe calls from the
monitoring host all the time?

Why cannot nrpe on the remote node monitor some of the local services and
only send a message back to nagios if there is a status change?

For warnings based on things like "disk usage", "cpu usage", "total procs",
"pbs scheduler daemon status" , "cpu temperatures" etc. coudn't this
approach relive the central host's cpu of a lot of endless check_nrpe calls?
NRPE is already doing the work; its just a question of what initiates a
communication channel between NRPE and nagios.

Just curious. Or maybe there is a way of achieving this already that I don't
know of!

--
Rahul