check-host-alive check

mariog at absi.be mariog at absi.be
Thu Feb 5 09:42:50 CET 2009

Hello all,
and thank you i found the check-host-alive in the files checkcommands.cfg
in the nagios conf directory.
now what is startles me is that there are 100% packet loss however the
host is up in nagios, it just the service check-host alive that is
critical; what are the arguments of nagios to say that a host is up or
down.. i thought it was a ping but if the ping from the nagios server to
the host doesn't work how can it say it's up?

are all host up by default? how can you make them down when a ping cannot
be performed.
in the host status information there is NA still the host is shown as up..

thank you very much for your help

Mario Garcia Ortiz/ABSI

Marc Powell <marc at ena.com>
04/02/2009 07:02 PM

nagios-users ML <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
cc

Subject
Re: [Nagios-users] check-host-alive check

On Feb 4, 2009, at 11:18 AM, mariog at absi.be wrote:

> Hello all
> can anyone help me with this;
> there a few hosts mostly adsl or sdsl routers dat have critical
> state with plugin timed out.
>
> the critical error is :
> check-host-alive critical plugin timed out after 10 seconds.
>
> i cannot find in nagios plugins directory any check named check-host-
> alive, it seems to be an embedded nagios check when the host is
> defined? despite this the host is up.
>
> can someone help me how does it work and where is this check-host-
> alive check stored in a regular nagios install under solaris 10.

Hello,

Your host{} definition (
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#host
) specifies a check_command of 'check-host-alive'.

There exists a command{} definition (
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#command
) named check-host-alive that probably uses a command_line specifying
the check_ping plugin, along with some flags for it. Grep your config
files for it to see where it lives (varies with version and personal
configuration).

The check_ping plugin does have a flag that you can pass to it to
extend the timeout --

$ /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping --help
  -t, --timeout=INTEGER
     Seconds before connection times out (default: 10)

You can modify the command{} definition above to also pass the -t flag
with a higher timeout (-t 30, for example).

You'll also want to verify that the master nagios host check timeout
value (host_check_timeout in nagios.cfg -
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/configmain.html)
  to be higher than your highest plugin specific timeout. You'll need
to reload nagios after making these changes.

HTH,

--
Marc

Create and Deploy Rich Internet Apps outside the browser with
Adobe(R)AIR(TM)
software. With Adobe AIR, Ajax developers can use existing skills and code
build responsive, highly engaging applications that combine the power of
local
resources and data with the reach of the web. Download the Adobe AIR SDK
and
Ajax docs to start building applications
today-http://p.sf.net/sfu/adobe-com
reporting any issue.