Which books are best for Nagios 3

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Wed Feb 4 14:55:44 CET 2009

> We've been using Nagios for a few years, since 4/05 and the 2.0b4
days,
> and absolutely love it.  I use it to monitor over a hundred servers,
> almost 400 services, and over the years I think I've become pretty
> darned knowledgeable about most aspects of Nagios.  In the Nagios 2.x
> days I found the book Pro Nagios 2.0 to be an indispensables resource
>
> Recently I upgraded us from 2.9 to 3.0.6 and I'm looking for
> recommendations for a book or two on 3.0 to take my knowledge to the
> next level.  I've found the following books available and I'm
wondering
> which ones are the best:
>
>    1. Nagios: System and Network Monitoring by Wolfgang Barth
(Paperback
>       - Oct 28, 2008) - Illustrated
>    2. Learning Nagios 3.0 by Wojciech Kocjan (Paperback - Oct 17,
2008)
>    3. Building a Monitoring Infrastructure with Nagios by David
>       Josephsen (Paperback - Mar 2, 2007)
>    4. Nagios 3 Enterprise Network Monitoring: Including Plug-Ins and
>       Hardware Devices by Max Schubert, Derrick Bennett, Jonathan
Gines,
>       and Andrew Hay (Paperback - Jun 2, 2008)

The Wolfgang Barth book is top, without a doubt. If you are going to get
only one, get this one. I have both editions and cannot think of one bad
thing.

James Turnbull wrote Pro Nagios 2.0 for Apress, but has not been updated
yet for Nagios 3.0. I would still recommend it for beginners. In
general, like his stuff. The Josephsen book is a little dated, but does
go a bit beyond the normal documentation.

The Kocjan book is a big waste of time and money. It is very superficial
and seems like the author was simply rewriting the existing
documentation. It is very thin on content and I get the feeling the
author has not really administered a Nagios system.

I don't have "Nagios 3 Enterprise Network Monitoring", but the review I
read on are not good.