Nagios threshold for

Assaf Flatto assaf.flatto at ssp-intl.com
Tue Feb 3 10:41:13 CET 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009 20:39:07 Scott wrote:
> We have a problem that frequently pops up in our monitoring
> environment.  Our monitoring server has adequate bandwidth but we share
> with an occasional bandwidth hog.  Sometimes they steal the bulk of our
> available bandwidth causing Nagios to be unable to adequately reach the
> systems it monitors.  What results is an onslaught of hundreds and
> thousands of pages to everyone telling us that systems and services are
> down... one page for each that is monitored!  Sometimes more if the
> bandwidth is pinched for a prolonged period of time.  Legitimate pages
> are lost in the process.
>
> Is there a way to put a threshold on Nagios if "Time Out" messages are
> received from a certain number of hosts or services?  If 4 distinct
> sites are timing out at the same time it should stop all notifications
> for all hosts and services and send a single page indicating a bandwidth
> issue.  Is there any facility in Nagios that even slightly resembles
> what I've described?  TIA!
>
> -Scott

what you are referring to is the nagios business process
http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F1366.html;d=1

It has the capability to send notification based of a business wide implications , however it does
not over ride the notifications from nagios for each service individually.

if those network outages occur in similar times - you can set the alerts not to be sent on the
individual services for that time and only the business plan logic to give out the alert.

Assaf

--
Assaf Flatto
SSP Ops Team

IMPORTANT . this email and the information in it may be confidential, legally
privileged and/or protected by law. It is intended solely for the use of the
person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other
person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.
Please also delete all copies of this email and any attachments from your
system.

We cannot guarantee the security or confidentiality of email communications. We
do not accept any liability for losses or damages that you may suffer as a
result of your receipt of this email including but not limited to computer
service or system failure, access delays or interruption, data non-delivery or
mis-delivery, computer viruses or other harmful components.

Copyright in this email and any attachments belong to Select Service Partner UK
Limited. Should you communicate with anyone at Select Service Partner UK Limited by
email, you consent to us monitoring and reading any such correspondence.

Nothing in this email shall be taken or read as suggesting, proposing or
relating to any agreement concerted practice or other practice that could
infringe UK or EC competition legislation.

Select Service Partner UK Limited is a company registered in England and Wales
(company number 05687183) whose registered office is at 1 The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge. Surrey. KT13 0NY