Strategies for monitoring a generic batch script

Paolo Tealdi paolo.tealdi at polito.it
Tue Feb 3 09:10:30 CET 2009

Dear all,

i'm searching for the best strategy in nagios for monitoring the
result of the execution for a generic batch (could be an rsync batch
or a backup or something else) that runs a few times in a day via
cron interface.
I could create a file if all goes well and check for the existance of
the file and for it's creation/modification time, but this seems to
me a little awkward ...
Anybody has a better idea ?

I hope this is not a faq, i googled but i didn't find anything useful.

Best regards,
Paolo Tealdi

Ing. Paolo Tealdi              Servizi Informatici per le Biblioteche
Politecnico Torino             Phone : +39-011-0906714 , FAX : +39-011-0906799
C.so Duca degli Abruzzi,  24 - 10129 Torino - ITALY Email :
paolo.tealdi(At)polito.it
Skype : tealdi.paolo