Nagios threshold for

Scott nagios-users at troutpocket.org
Mon Feb 2 21:39:07 CET 2009

We have a problem that frequently pops up in our monitoring
environment.  Our monitoring server has adequate bandwidth but we share
with an occasional bandwidth hog.  Sometimes they steal the bulk of our
available bandwidth causing Nagios to be unable to adequately reach the
systems it monitors.  What results is an onslaught of hundreds and
thousands of pages to everyone telling us that systems and services are
down... one page for each that is monitored!  Sometimes more if the
bandwidth is pinched for a prolonged period of time.  Legitimate pages
are lost in the process.

Is there a way to put a threshold on Nagios if "Time Out" messages are
received from a certain number of hosts or services?  If 4 distinct
sites are timing out at the same time it should stop all notifications
for all hosts and services and send a single page indicating a bandwidth
issue.  Is there any facility in Nagios that even slightly resembles
what I've described?  TIA!

-Scott