Nagios & SELinux

Chris Beattie cbeattie at geninfo.com
Mon Feb 2 17:09:28 CET 2009

I compiled Nagios 3 from source on CentOS 5.2 with SELinux set to Enforcing.  I installed Nagios following the Fedora Quickstart guide.  SELinux will prevent just about everything in Nagios' web page from running.  It was an iterative process to get everything allowed, since I kept finding things I'd missed the previous time through these steps.  CentOS 5.2 (and RHEL, I assume) had some SELinux tuning tools installed, but I don't know if they're available on other distros.

1.  Click on the links in Nagios' side bar, try to send acknowlegements, etc.
2.  Use the SE Troubleshoot Browser to take a look at the audit.log file and clean out anything not caused by Nagios.
3.  If this isn't the first time through the steps, make a backup copy of your type enforcement settings (.te) file.
4.  Run:  #audit2allow -m mynagios -l -i audit.log > mynagios.te
5.  If this isn't the first time through the steps, use a text editor to merge the contents of your current and previous .te files.
6.  Run:  #checkmodule -M -m -o mynagios.mod mynagios.te
7.  Run:  #semodule_package -o mynagios.pp -m mynagios.mod
8.  Run:  #semodule -i mynagios.pp
9.  Verify your policy package has been installed by running #semodule -i
10. Return to step 1 until SELinux lets Nagios do everything Nagios needs to do.

Keeping a backup of your type enforcement file is necessary because if Nagios is allowed to do some things, they won't continue creating entries in audit.log, and audit2allow won't pick them up the next time around.  You want your .te file to accumulate all the necessary settings.

There was a Nagios policy package installed in CentOS already, but it didn't work for me.  When you create your own SELinux policy packages, give your package a unique name.  I think that will prevent it from being clobbered if the stock package gets updated by your distribution's maintainer.