Service dependencies

Martin Melin mmelin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 21:20:18 CET 2009

A service that happens to be a check_ping is not the same thing as the
host check command.

The host check command should be a plugin that determines whether or
not the host is alive - usually a ping, but can be something else.

See http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html for more
info on this, but as Marc explained, if you set up your host
definition with a correct check_command, what will happen when a host
goes down is this (without setting up regularly scheduled host
checks):

1. A service check fails on the host
2. Nagios immediately schedules a host check for the host
3. If the host check_command fails, notifications for all services on
the host are suppressed until the host check_command clears

which is what you want in this case.

Regards
Martin Melin