Dynamic host, hostgroup and service addition/subtraction

patrick.morris at hp.com patrick.morris at hp.com
Wed Dec 23 23:44:29 CET 2009

Hi Lee!

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Lee Azzarello wrote:

> I have an application that requires new cluster nodes be created and
> destroyed to handle load spikes.  I would like this additional
> capacity to be represented in nagios during it's lifetime. Currently
> my installation requires manually adding host definitions and
> dependent hostgroup and service configurations. Is there a system in
> Nagios 3 to change the host definitions without editing a
> configuration file, redeploying the configs and restarting the nagios
> service?

It sounds like you're asking if you can modify the config without
modifying the config, and the answer to that would be mostly no, though
there are some things you can do through external commands.  Those are
all pretty well spelled-out in the docs.

A restart for a config change isn't necessary, though. Sending Nagios a
HUP will cause it to reload its configs without a full restart, and it
would be a relatively simple matter, I suspect, to just have a config
dir defined and drop hosts in it and pull them out (sending the HUP
signal afterward, of course) as needed.