Notification period inheritance problem

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Dec 15 21:04:06 CET 2009

On 12/15/2009 10:49 AM, Marc Powell wrote:

> No, in order to do that, the notification_period needs to be unspecified. null != unspecified. Because you're explicitly setting it to null, you break the implied inheritance.
>
> To take advantage of the implied inheritance, you need to leave out the directive entirely as indicated above.

Quoting from the documentation:

    The following table lists the object variables that will be
    implicitly inherited from related objects if you don't explicitly
    specify their value in your object definition or inherit them from a
    template

...so I need to not inherit the value from my template.  How do I do that?

    In some cases you may not want your host, service, or contact
    definitions to inherit values of string variables from the templates
    they reference. If this is the case, you can specify "*null*"
    (without quotes) as the value of the variable that you do not want
    to inherit.

If I don't specify a value, it'll be inherited.  Right?  How will that
help me not specify a value for the service?