Notification period inheritance problem

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Dec 15 01:56:32 CET 2009

The documentation on "Implied Inheritance"[1] indicates that a service
with no notification period will use the notification period of the
associated host definition.  This doesn't seem to work when a service is
applied to a hostgroup.

In my configuration files, I define a generic service template of my
own.  It has no notification period.  I also define a host template for
each customer which defines the hostgroup and notification period which
is appropriate for each host.  Finally, I define a service which will
apply to all hosts within that hostgroup.

When I run "nagios -v", I get warnings that no notification period is given:
Warning: Service 'root partition' on host 'customer1-samba' has no
notification time period defined!

I've received some pages from hosts when checks timed out during a
period when no notications should be sent.

Is this a bug, or am I making some mistake?  Shouldn't the service be
inheriting the value from the host?  Where would I start looking if it
were a bug and I wanted to fix it?

define service{
         name                            my-generic-service ; The 'name'
of this service template
         notification_period             null            ; Use the
period from the host
         register                        0
         }

define host{
         name            customer1-linux-server
         use             my-generic-server
         hostgroups      my-linux-servers
         notification_period     my-workhours
         register        0
         }

define  service{
         use                     my-generic-service
         hostgroup_name          my-linux-servers
         service_description     root partition
         check_command           ssh_disk!20%!10%!/
         }

1: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectinheritance.html