Nagios2 process overwhelmed by NSCA daemon?

Jonathan Call jcall at verio.net
Thu Dec 10 00:06:25 CET 2009

I recently added two new slaves to a distributed Nagios system. The
central server now passively processes 17,000+ service checks on 3000+
servers.

It's been over an hour and a half since I brought those new slaves
online and I have about 150 hosts still stuck in 'Pending' and about
1300 services in the same state. In addition to that it seems that the
service check results from the other slaves that were working normally
are now arbitrarily disappearing. For example, on one host three of the
service checks have been updated relatively recently (i.e. 5-30 minutes
ago) but three other service checks haven't been updated for almost an
hour. The slaves all appear operational and the hosts are being checked
on time. Is it possible I've overwhelmed Nagios' ability to process data
from the NSCA daemon or struck some internal Nagios bottleneck? Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Jonathan

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has been sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Verio, Inc. makes no warranty that this email is error or virus free.  Thank you.