? on Notification of threshold being exceeded

Marcel mitsuto at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 16:58:53 CET 2009

Hello,

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM, <Steve_Fiedler at pepboys.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Is it possible to set up a check for nagios where an admin is notified when
> a threshold value has been exceeded in a specific time frame?

Sure. With a proper service check or with escalations.

> For example, send me a notification when a check_ping has failed 20 times
> during the past hour for a server but only send me the notification 1 time
> for that hour time frame.

I'd setup a ping service that has max_check_attempts set to 20 and
normal_check_interval set to 300 - That way you'd only receive notifications
in one hour of ping errors.

> We get 100's or 1000s of emails from Tivoli for alerts and want to somehow
> keep track of the alerts but only send out the notification when deemed
> critical.  Thought Nagios could do it better than Tivoli. :)

If Tivoli floods your mailbox, and all of them are false positives, then you
have a Tivoli setup problem, or a network related issue.
Nagios maybe at the same point of view of Tivoli, if you're having network
issues.

HTH,
Marcel