need expert advice/suggestions

Mathew Walker lmw94002 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 8 16:57:54 CET 2009

We make extensive use of hostgroups for templating.

We define a "OS" hostgroup.  A simple example would be "Windows" or "Linux" host groups where we monitor CPU/Load, Root/C disk space, and memory.  The Windows group has EventLog & RDP checks, while Linux groups will monitor the SSH port.

Then we use nested groups for something like "DB Servers" (dbservers.cfg) where we have the parent group defined and the subgroups of "MSSQL" and "MYSQL" hostgroups.  Then each smaller group has a few common checks we run such as base TCP Ports and even simple test queries against the default databases.

Ironically we had very view checks to the actual host.cfg files, but add most individual one-off "role" checks to the group file.

--
Mat W. - http://www.techadre.com