need expert advice/suggestions

patrick.morris at hp.com patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Dec 7 22:29:19 CET 2009

Hi Taylor!

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009, Taylor Dondich wrote:

> I hate to toot our own horn here in the Nagios Users mailing list (not
> the reason why I joined it).  However, our configuration tool really
> does support what you are trying to do.  Lilac Configurator has support
> for templates, but we take it one step further.  Unlike Nagios, we
> support attaching services to host templates.  So when you create a new
> host and have it inherit from a template, it brings in all services
> attached to that template.  We do the same for escalations and
> depedencies.  Something we feel Nagios should have, but doesn't.  So our
> tool supports it then exports it to a configuration format that Nagios
> understands.  Give it a whirl, I think it may help out your
> configuration in the way you desire.

For what it's worth, Nagios *does* support this.  We routinely use
templates which assign a hostgroup to a host, and that hostgroup will
have a set of standard check for that type of host assigned to it.  When
a new host gets added, all it takes is a "use some_host_template" and
all the standard services we run on that type of host just show up.