Arbitrary alert processing

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Dec 4 17:34:47 CET 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 5:49 PM, Gareth Beale wrote:

> I'm looking at replacing a system that was used to monitor production
> systems.
>
> It performed two basic functions:

> 2. Receive arbitrary text messages sent to it and display them, possibly
> with an audio alert, on the console.
>   This was achieved by using remote copy to put a text file (with
> several delimited fields) in a specific directory on the monitoring
> system. A process checked the directory periodically and displayed any
> messages found there, after interpreting the fields in the text file.
>
> Nagios is a no-brainer for the first function, and although it wouldn't
> be hard to write a simple script to do part 2, I'd like to incorporate
> it into nagios.

You could treat these as a typical critical event. If you have a script that parses the file and determines that something is alertable, you're already mostly there. Create a new host/service definition; give it a generic name relevant to the type of alerts it will display; enable passive checks for it and set is_volatile. Have your script submit a passive CRITICAL or WARNING result to nagios based on it's alert logic. Each time this happens, it will show up as an event that must be acknowledged or reset to clear.

--
Marc