Arbitrary alert processing

Gareth Beale gareth.beale at boeing.com
Fri Dec 4 00:49:09 CET 2009

I'm looking at replacing a system that was used to monitor production
systems.

It performed two basic functions:

1. Monitor hosts (using ping) and alert the operations staff if a host
went down.
2. Receive arbitrary text messages sent to it and display them, possibly
with an audio alert, on the console.
   This was achieved by using remote copy to put a text file (with
several delimited fields) in a specific directory on the monitoring
system. A process checked the directory periodically and displayed any
messages found there, after interpreting the fields in the text file.

Nagios is a no-brainer for the first function, and although it wouldn't
be hard to write a simple script to do part 2, I'd like to incorporate
it into nagios. One of the reasons that I'm going to use nagios in the
first place is that it is browser based. If the support staff get a call
at home, they can display the nagios dashboard and see exactly what the
operations staff are seeing. So I'd like the text alerts to be there
too. I'm not aware of a plugin that provides this capability, nor have I
seen popups for the nagios pages. I am aware of the Win-popups but I
want the messaging incorporated into the nagios display. I know too that
host comments can be added by external commands, but comments are not
very visible or "loud".

I hope that is clear. I can follow up if not. Any suggestions?