Does Nagios passive check support "real-time" monitor of hardware status

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Aug 31 18:42:22 CEST 2009

On Aug 31, 2009, at 11:08 AM, Scott Xiao wrote:

> Hi Does Nagios passive check support "real-time" monitor of hardware
> status? For example, one network cable on a switch port is
> disconnected
> and nagios UI will change to "down" in a few seconds and send alert
> email/sms to IT team? Is NRPE or NSCA agent needed to install on the
> monitored systems? But for switch/tape drive, not possible to install,
> how shall we achieve the passive check instead of waiting 5 or 10
> minutes to know it happens after a switch port is down? Any experience
> or URL to share? Thanks !

Well, *something* needs to submit the status change to nagios. For
your specific example of the switch port, I'm certain the switch
doesn't talk the NSCA protocol but it may be able to send SNMP traps.
If it can, you can use SNMPTT (or similar) to receive those traps and
submit them to Nagios in real time. See the nagios documentation on
SNMP Traps. If your switch or device isn't able to send SNMP traps
then your only other options are to find something that it _can_ do in
Real Time and work something up around that or to perform your current
check more frequently.

--
Marc