check_http confusion / problem

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Sat Aug 29 16:55:44 CEST 2009

Jon Angliss wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:01:44 -0500, "David Dyer-Bennet"
> <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:
>

>> [check_http questions]
>>

> --help usually gives a whole bunch of extra information...

Yes, that's where I got the information I had; it's what got me confused
in the first place.  In particular, help shows a long-form as well as a
short-form option for -e, and it was while discovering that the
long-form option given in help doesn't appear to be recognized that I
ended up with the "-e=400" syntax which is wrong (but which IS accepted).

>> [ddb at prcapp00 dev]$ /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_http
>> --IP-address=192.168.5.3 -p 8075 --no-body -f critical -v -v -v -e="Bad
>> Request"
>> GET / HTTP/1.0
>>

>> http://192.168.5.3:8075/ is 168 characters
>> STATUS: HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
>> **** HEADER ****
>> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:33:44 GMT
>> Connection: close
>> **** CONTENT ****
>>  [[ skipped ]]
>> Invalid HTTP response received from host on port 8075
>> [ddb at prcapp00 dev]$ echo $?
>> 2
>>

> Command syntax is incorrect.
>
> # ./check_http -I 192.168.5.3 -p 8075 --no-body -f critical -vvv -e \
>  "Bad Request"

That was the base problem in some sense, thanks.

> I tried against one of my servers without any issues.  Albeit I got a
> critical failure because my server didn't return bad request.
>
> I do notice you're using an old version of the plugins package. 1.4.13
> is the current version, can you download and compile in a different
> directory and see if you still end upw with the same issue?

This is a Centos 4.7 install, and I'm trying to stick to the packaged
distributions that match each other, rather than going around upgrading
things at random and hoping they work together.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info