check_http confusion / problem

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Fri Aug 28 23:34:36 CEST 2009

Not sure if regular expressions will work, but here's an example:

[root at plugins]# ./check_http -H www -e "HTT"
HTTP OK HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 318 bytes in 0.004 seconds
|time=0.004054s;;;0.000000 size=318B;;;0

It finds the 'HTT' in the following status line:

STATUS: HTTP/1.1 200 OK

so it returns an 'OK' condition.

However:

[root at plugins]# ./check_http -H www -e "HTP"
HTTP CRITICAL - Invalid HTTP response received from host

There is no 'HTP' string in the status line, so the plugin returns a
critical condition.

James Moseley

"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b at dd-b.net> wrote:

That's where I found --expect= in the first place.  All my tests showed it
not working as I "expected", and I started thrashing around as usual, and
eventually ended up with -e= which is of course wrong (incomplete
editing).

What is the argument?  A regexp?  The other match parameters are, but this
one doesn't say so.  A full-line match?  An initial segment match?  Will
it match anywhere within the line?