Why are there "commands"?

Mark Gius mgius at createspace.com
Fri Aug 28 20:19:49 CEST 2009

It allows you to have a single "command" that may have variable results
depending on which "service" uses it.

IE, you can have one command, check_disk which is defined with

command check_disk -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -H $HOSTADDRESS$

and then two services, "Check disk fileserver" and "check disk webserver"

In these, you'll define

check_command check_disk!80!90

or

check_command check_disk!85!95

So now your web servers and file servers are using the same command with
different arguments depending on which service you choose to apply to a
host.

It's true that you can have a 1-1 command/service relationship, but this
method allows you to be more flexible.

This works for Nagios 2.x as well as 3.x

-Gius