large map

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Aug 26 13:33:35 CEST 2009

2009/8/26 Assaf Flatto <assaf.flatto at ssp-intl.com>:
> Hello Guys
>
> I have a silly question , and i know there must be a simple solution to it - but it somehow eludes
> me .
>
> I am trying to make the map of my nagios to be some what readable , i have 366 hosts and in the map
> they are all clustered in to the center with out branching although i tried providing parenting and
> map coordinates .
>
> Any idea how i can make it appear branched out ?

In my experience, for more than a few dozen hosts, the Nagios status
map doesn't work too well.

I recommend you look at the Nagios Extended Status Map (NEXSM)
http://nexsm.gridshield.net/Overview.html

NEXSM can be a bit of a pain to install, so I recommend you look
through the NEXSM online forum for notes on how easily to install it.
I think NEXSM install is also covered in Wolfgang Barth's book (2nd
Edition), but I bought the book after installing NEXSM so can't
comment on how good his instructions are (if the rest of the book is
anything to go by they're probably very good).

Alternatively, there's the auto map in NagVis which doesn't give you
the same host icons, but is arguably easier to maintain, although it
does require you to run NDO. http://www.nagvis.org/

hth,

Jim