check_mk - thoughts

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:44:35 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Max Hetrick<maxhetrick at verizon.net> wrote:
> Terry wrote:
>> Anyone using check_mk?  I've been playing around with it today to see
>> if it would be a good move away from NRPE.   Good concept but I am
>> having issues trying to introduce contact group granularity into the
>> mix.  I am probably missing something that can be put into main.mk.
>
> Hi, Terry.
>
> I just looked at it quickly. Do you see any great benefit to switch from
> NRPE to this? Briefly looking over the docs, it's seems a bit more
> complicated to setup and use compared to NRPE.
>
> What's your opinion on playing with it so far?
>
> Regards,
> Max

It is really easy to use and cuts down the administration of "core
services" (cpu,memory,disk) considerably.  It's architecture of
polling the host once and grabbing all the services in one shot is
awesome too for large environments.  For me, I like the architecture
of it better than NRPE.  However, taking the configuration outside of
the nagios standard isn't desirable for me.  In its normal mode, you
run check_mk against its configuration and it then generates python
executables for each host.  However, it works in non-compiled mode as
well.  With this mode its possible to stick to a nagios-only
configuration and still gain the benefits of the one-check
architecture (I think).  Still looking into that.

Last note:   I couldn't get host tags to work properly:
all_hosts = [
'omajelut02|cgjelms',
]
service_contactgroups = [
( "ms", cgjelms", [ "" ] ),
]
I would expect the above to add the 'ms' contact group to all services
on hosts with the cgjelms tag but it doesn't.  No errors either.  But
if I try to keep all the configuration logic inside of nagios, this
doesn't matter.