Services not being associated with hosts

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Fri Aug 21 02:11:53 CEST 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:41:24 -0700, Bruce Thayre
<bruce at mipscomputation.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>I've been trying to debug this issue for some time but i'm stuck and have
>not found a solution.  Nagios -v nagios.cfg has no complaints, just warns me
>that services are not associated with hosts:
>
>Nagios 3.0.6

[..]

>define service{
>        use                                             generic-service
>        display_name                    rails_playground
>        host_name                               rails_playground
>        check_command                   check-host-alive
>        contacts                                nagiosadmins
>}

[..]

>I don't see how there are zero services attached to my host, the services
>are registered properly, just never associated with hosts.  Any help would
>be greatly appreciated

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#service

You're missing defined variables. Those in red are required.  Note
however not all required fields need to be defined (see Implied
Inheritance section in [1]).

I'd consider this a sort of bug, because it's not telling you a
required field is missing, simply skipping over it.  It should at
least throw a warning.

[1]: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectinheritance.html

--
Jonathan Angliss