organizing config files with templates

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 15:32:06 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 4:52 AM, Simon Kainz<simon.kainz at tugraz.at> wrote:
> mail at catsnest.co.uk wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Terry <td3201 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:td3201 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     I have a medium-sized installation (>10,000) services) in a manged
>>     services/data center environment.   I am curious how others in these
>>     types of multi-tenant environments organize their configuration files.
>>      There are multiple things to consider:
>>     - templates
>>     - cfg_dirs
>>     - grouping
>>
>>     I am considering cfg_dirs in this fashion:
>>     /etc/nagios/objects/hosts/customer.cfg
>>     /etc/nagios/objects/services/customer/host.cfg
>>
>>     I am considering templates in this fashion:
>>     /etc/nagios/objects/services/templates/sql.cfg  (will contain
>>     microsoft sql type services)
>>     This template will look like this:
>>     define service{
>>            use                             standard-server
>>            hostgroup_name                  sql
>>            service_description             microsoft sql server service
>>            check_command                   check_nrpe_win_service_mssql
>>            }
>>     Then I can just add hosts to the sql hostgroup to give them this
>>     service.
>>
>>     What am I missing?  What do others do that might make my life easier?
>>

>> Sounds a lot like what I use... I also use host-templates for example:
>>
>> define host{
>>                 use               solaris,dns,an-other-app
>>                 address...
>> }
>>
>> the solaris host-template applies standard checks like disk, cpu, SMF.
>> the solaris-10-global template applies checks such as zone-checks
>
> Hmm, could you eventually explain how the "solaris host-template applies
> standard checks (which seem to me like services) ? How do you do this ?
>
> Regards,
>

>> the same can be applies to a windows / rhel template
>>
>> our rhel and solaris templates actually "use" basic *nix templates too.
>>
>> this was each hosts config is kept to a minimum. also keeping each host
>> in its own .cfg file helps eg .../customer1/server-name1.cfg then any
>> host specific checks (eg url checks) can be added to that one config
>> file too.
>>
>> Ritchie

>>     ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when
>>     reporting any issue.
>>     ::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to /dev/null

>> Let Crystal Reports handle the reporting - Free Crystal Reports 2008 30-Day
>> trial. Simplify your report design, integration and deployment - and focus on
>> Crystal Reports now.  http://p.sf.net/sfu/bobj-july

>> ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any issue.
>

> --
> DI Simon Kainz
> Graz, University of Technology
> Department Computing
> Phone: ++43 (0) 316 / 873 6885

I think he is doing this:

define service{
        use                             server-1-hour-retry-emailonly-noticket
        hostgroup_name                  windows
        service_description             cpu
        check_command                   check_nrpe_win_cpu!80!90
        }

define service{
        use                             server-servicehours
        hostgroup_name                  windows
        service_description             commit charge
        check_command                   check_nrpe_win_memory_page!90%!95%
        }

define service{
        use                             server
        hostgroup_name                  windows
        service_description             uptime
        servicegroups                   uptime
        check_command                   check_nrpe_win_uptime!1h
        retry_check_interval            70
        }

So, all hosts in the windows host_group will get the uptime,cpu, and
commit charge services.