nagios host dependencies (strange) issue--it does not works as expected

arly arly arlytex at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 16:15:14 CEST 2009

Hi all,

my nagios system monitors some servers behind firewal,  and sometimes
happens that firewall
is not reachable due to some network problem. All checks are delivered
thru firewall.

I am monitoring firewall too, and I am just checking PING to it and
rount trip time

with

define service{
	use			test
        host_name		firewall
	service_description	PING
	check_command		check_ping!200.0,40%!400.0,50%
}

I read all information at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/dependencies.html about
dependencies and in

/etc/conf.d I created dependencies.cfg with

define hostdependency{
	host_name			firewall
	dependent_host_name	host_behind_firewall
	notification_failure_criteria   d
	}

with this I want to stop checkig ( and get just one notification about
failure ) of host(s) behind firewal in case it is not possible to
ping firewall .

Then I blocked ping on firewall and it showed as DOWN via nagios web,
but still I am getting correct information about
"host behind firewall", but I am expecting to get inforormation that
all is stoped as checking host behind firewall depends on
firewall availibility.
This is just simple scenario, I need  to stop all checks in case
connection to firewall does not works.

I someone know what I should check more, please write

Thank you in advance for help

Arlytex