How to detect MSSQL cluster failover?

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Fri Aug 14 06:51:20 CEST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:08:56 +0200, Marco Tirado
<marco.tirado at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello users:
>
>I would like to know what is the easiest way to detect when a failover
>occurs in an MSSQL cluster. I need a simple check that tells me when our
>database cluster fails from physical node "X" to node physical node "Y"
>
>Has anybody done this? Maybe with a passive check?

I used to do a quick and dirty way and use the SNMP sysName, and look
for a specific value.  If it changed from one name to another, it had
failed over...

./check_snmp -H host -v 1 -c public -o .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0 -s
"expectedname"

Or, if you've had experience with WMI, you can hit the MSCluster
namespace...

  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc780572(WS.10).aspx

Enjoy :)
--