Stability of NDOUtils with Nagios 3.0.6

Simon Finch finchs at stgeorge.com.au
Fri Aug 14 02:33:32 CEST 2009

Hi Kris,

We are running this configuration successfully without any major problems for about a year.
I am currently running with Nagios 3.10 / NDOUtils 1.4b7. in production and NDOUtils 1.4b8 in development.
The only problem I am currently seeing is that ndo2db-3x leaves zombies behind that I have to clean up occasionally by restarting the ndo daemon, otherwise it runs fine.

I am currently running Centreon 2.1 with no problems on Ubuntu 8.04.
If you have a large site then please consider installing MySQL on it's own 64 bit host. I started with everything on one 32 bit 4 CPU 4Gb server and somewhere around 200 monitored server mark I the found that MySQL was hogging 3.5 of the CPU's and the whole system became very sluggish. I moved MySQL to a 64 bit Ubuntu server (same config as the 32 bit server) and the usage dropped from 350% to 60%.

I don't know if our site would be considered as medium or large but for comparison this setup is currently supporting multiple Nagios servers in firewalled zones, Nagvis with lots of large NOC maps, lots of users and monitoring approx 2000 servers with 10000 service checks. So far it is very responsive and we growing daily.

Thanks,
Simon

>>> "Getchell, Kristoffer M" <K.Getchell at kingston.ac.uk> 13/08/2009 5:58 pm >>>
We're currently considering a rollout of Centreon and I have tried to go through the install process on one of our Nagios systems.  I have got to the point where Centeon begins to look for ndomod.o which I believe is part of NDOUtils.

I'm a little wary about going any further as NDOUtils are self-proclaimed alpha stage software and are listed as not stable on Nagios 3.X.

Has anyone had any experiences using Centreon/NDOUtils on Nagios 3, and if so are there any problems about which I should be aware?  We're running SLES11 if that adds anything into the mix.

Thanks,

Kris

Kristoffer Getchell  |  Systems Analyst  |  Information Services  |  020 8417 2079

Security System.

*** This is an automatically appended message from St. George ITP.  If this email is SPAM please register it with WebSense MailControl by clicking this link https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/7UZn9gN4VJbTndxI!oX7UmeTbKCZHRkRrtHiWcv6GAY8D9theD5kpE5rZtJ!paq1tzy7YboBKDTgMdFy9yJ30A== . ***

*****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is
addressed and its content is not intended for use by any other
persons.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately.  Please also destroy and delete the message from
your computer.  Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message
is strictly prohibited.

St George Bank Limited AFSL 240997, Advance Asset Management Limited
AFSL 240902,  St George Life Limited AFSL 240900, ASGARD Capital Management Limited
AFSL 240695 and Securitor Financial Group Limited AFSL 240687 is not liable for
the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in
this communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.