Check issues on Solaris with NRPE not dealing with ARGS

Brian O'Mahony brian.omahony at curamsoftware.com
Wed Aug 12 16:25:30 CEST 2009

>From the nrpe.cfg

# COMMAND ARGUMENT PROCESSING
# This option determines whether or not the NRPE daemon will allow clients
# to specify arguments to commands that are executed.  This option only works
# if the daemon was configured with the --enable-command-args configure script
# option.
#
# *** ENABLING THIS OPTION IS A SECURITY RISK! ***
# Read the SECURITY file for information on some of the security implications
# of enabling this variable.
#
# Values: 0=do not allow arguments, 1=allow command arguments

dont_blame_nrpe=1

But as the commands are working remotely from the shell on the nagios-server, isn't this already working? Is there a difference between sending the commands (as either the nagios or root user) from the nagios-server to beatrix (my monitored server)

So if the commands work that way, shouldn't they work from the automated checks?

(Im pretty new to nagios)

> So it looks like the args are not being passed to the solaris box. I just don't understand what im doing wrong here. (I am also looking at check_mem and check_users but have forgon those until I get the issue with the ARGS resolved)

did you read the following in your nrpe.cfg?

# COMMAND ARGUMENT PROCESSING
# This option determines whether or not the NRPE daemon will allow clients
# to specify arguments to commands that are executed.  This option only works
# if the daemon was configured with the --enable-command-args configure script
# option.
#
# *** ENABLING THIS OPTION IS A SECURITY RISK! ***
# Read the SECURITY file for information on some of the security implications
# of enabling this variable.
#
# Values: 0=do not allow arguments, 1=allow command arguments

dont_blame_nrpe=0

Maybe you have to recompile nrpe with "./configure --disable-ssl --enable-command-args" ?

The other way is to work with static parameters in the nrpe.cfg file. If possible...

--
Greetings from Weimar / Germany

Thomas Voigt