Disable email notifications, keep all sound options

Brian brian at texnet.com
Tue Aug 11 16:16:30 CEST 2009

<snip>
>> 2009/8/10 Brian <brian at texnet.com>:
>> In 3.1.2 when I disable notifications, all my sound options show "no
speaker".

> The icon which looks like a megaphone with a cross through it simply
indicates that you have disabled notifications (where typically a
notification is an email or SMS) for that host or service.  I'm pretty
sure it bears no relation to whether the sounds will play in your
browser or not.

Notifications do include sound!

> I'm not sure if it's relevant to your situation there, but in 3.0.5 the
sample audio files were removed from the distribution.  See:
http://www.nagios.org/development/history/core-3x

> Check the "SOUND OPTIONS" section in your cgi.cfg file, make sure the
relevant entries are uncommented and the .wav files exist.

> If that still doesn't work, try a different browser maybe.
>
> hth,
>
> Jim

Thanks Jim for your thoughts, all the sound is configured and working. I
won't do into ugly details but will say I changed the source code, now
play mp3's and adjusted the html tags to be more compatible across
different browsers.

In a nutshell, my default host template included a contract group, my
service template did not. Although they are REQUIRED, nagios will still
start with warnings logged.

What I just learned and tested was, if a host has a contact/group set, the
services on that host appears to inherit the contact from the host. This
was not the behavior in 2.6. I removed the contact group from all the
hosts, which is a undesired compromise but now we won't get bombared
w/emails when Jboss/twiddle times out after 10 seconds (I know, I need to
adjust it, no global setting though <sigh>).

The purpose of all this:
Lets say we have ftp and http running on a box. http is critical, ftp is
not. I want a sound to play and in case I've stepped away from nagios, an
email sent to all system administrators if http stops responding. If ftp
stops, no emails are necessary, just play a sound to get my attention and
I'll fix the service.

believed to be clean.