Ping Disallowed

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Aug 10 15:57:36 CEST 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Martyn wrote:

> Hi all
> We have a box that needs monitoring but ping has been blocked by
> their firewall and they do not want to allow connections to this
> port, what other way is there to check the host is alive if ping has
> been disabled. At the minute host shows down but their services show
> up.

You can use any check that you want. Pick one that represents to you
the best indication that the host is up and doing what it's supposed
to. If this were a web server for example, I might use check _http. If
that's down, the host would be effectively down. check_ping is just
the most common way of determining if a host is up. You need to be
more creative.

--
Marc