Monitor Windows 2003 using nagios + SNMP

Thu Aug 6 23:04:21 CEST 2009

A couple of notes:

- SNMP runs over UDP while NRPE uses TCP. UDP can be more finicky with
the firewall, because it is more difficult for the firewall to match up
the response with the original message.

- Stupid question: did you enable SNMP on the Windows server, and
configure it (by default, the Windows SNMP agent does NOT use the public
community).

- If the firewall uses NAT, remember that you need to specify the
firewall's IP address in the check-command, and you need to configure
the firewall to send the traffic to the actual server you want to
monitor. I'm sure you already have that set up correctly, since you'd
need the same thing for the NRPE test that you said works.

- What specific "better information" do you get via SNMP? The reason I'm
asking is that I wrote a very extensive (and still growing) set of
plugins that may give you the information you need - and if those
plugins don't give you what you need, let me know, and I can probably
add one that does. The plugins should work with NSClient++ although I
haven't tested it. This plugin collection is on Sourceforge as
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tntnagiosplugin/

- For my own monitoring, I wrote yet another Windows agent specifically
to deal with firewall issues. It does not need any ports opened in the
firewall at all, since the traffic goes in the opposite direction. It
uses basically NSCA, but transports it over SSL and HTTPS so you can
safely send it over the public Internet. That is at
http://www.tntmonitoring.com And of course it uses the plugin collection
I mentioned earlier.