Monitor Windows 2003 using nagios + SNMP

arly arly arlytex at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 20:15:04 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I am using nagios3 and I would like an monitoring system for my
network. I have cca 10 hosts in "my network" but they are behind
firewall.
I mean in "my network" which is not exposed to outside world, some
machines are behidn firewals in.

Critical machines run Windows 2003 server OS, and I tried to use
NSClient++, in combination with check_nrpe ( I tried both ports 5666
and 12489 ) and I can get information from windows servers--checking
them with check_nrpe looks ok.

Then I realized that with SNMP I could better informations ( tested on
machines directly accessible from nagios server ) and decided to
copy/paste working SNMP configuration from windows machines and add
necessary servers to nagios conf files and have all unified via SNMP
monitoring. I am using *.pl scripts from
http://nagios.manubulon.com/snmp_storage.html and for machines
directly accessible all is ok

But I got into troubles for servers behind firewall :) Ports 161/162 (
UDP/TCP ) are open on firewal to windows servers

When I run
./check_snmp_storage.pl -H AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA -C public -m ^C: -w 80 -c
90 ( AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA address of win. machine behind firewal ) I am
getting an error

ERROR: Description/Type table : No response from remote host 'AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA'.
what means no return information from server. First I suspected on
connectivity and I moved SNMP to listen on another port, run command
./check_snmp_storage.pl -H AAA.AAA.AAA.AAA -C public -m ^C: -w 80 -c
but same issue ( this process works when I test it on machines which
are not behind firewall )
On windows machine netstat -a shows

 UDP    server:snmp        *:*
 UDP    server:snmptrap    *:*

what means snmp is listenning ( same configuration of SNMP service
works ok for machines which are in same net as nagios server )

I am suspection it could something to do with SNMP client / SNMP
protocol how it works, as I am getting correct response when I sent it
to 5666 + check_nrpe.

Any reasonable hint what I could check will very useful, so thank you
in advance. I am preety lost I do not really know what to check more
in order to resolve this.

Operating system I use for nagios server is Debian stable 5, I am very
sure configuration of SNMP on Windows servers is correct. HW I am want
to monitor are HP Proliants DL360 G5, DL380 G5

Kind regards,

Arlytex