Alert Emails Don't Contain the Content of the Alert

John Davis linux0642 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 20:54:02 CEST 2009

I set up Nagios 3.0.4 using the quickstart. The service alert
notifications for Disk Capacity contain information regarding Ping and
not the Disk capacity information I expected. Here's a sample of the email:

begin
 Notification Type: PROBLEM
 Host: jdavisxp
 State: UP
 Address: 10.1.41.14
 Info: PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.59 ms

Date/Time: Mon Aug 3 08:43:34 PDT 2009
end

But the message sent via Jabber worked as expected:

begin
Drive Space is CRITICAL\r\nAdditional Info: c:\ - total: 148.93 Gb -
used: 39.76 Gb (27%) - free 109.18 Gb (73%)
end

Here's my notify service definition:

# 'notify-service-by-email' command definition
define command{
command_name notify-service-by-email
command_line /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification
Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost:
$HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time:
$LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s
"** $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ Service Alert: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is
$SERVICESTATE$ **" $CONTACTEMAIL$
}

Can anyone tell me why a disk capacity issue is generating a problem
alert that just contains info about packet loss? Obviously I've crossed
a config somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

TIA!