check_proc -a works directly but fails through nrpe

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Thu Apr 30 02:31:27 CEST 2009

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:03:46 +0000 (UTC), "R. David Murray"
<rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

>This is weird.  If I do this:
>
>    >sudo -u nagios /usr/local/libexec/nagios/check_procs -a "-L /var/sipenv-10.1.2.1/log/b2bua.log" -C python -c 1:1
>    PROCS OK: 1 process with args '-L /var/sipenv-10.1.2.1/log/b2bua.log', command name 'python'
>
>everything is fine, but if I do it remotely:
>
>    >./check_nrpe -H 65.175.131.174 -c check_foo
>    PROCS CRITICAL: 0 processes with args '-L /var/sipenv-10.1.2.1/log/b2bua.log', command name 'python'
>
>it can't find the process.  It looks as though the string that check_cpu
>is looking at is truncated when and only when it is run under nrpe.
>
>Anyone have any clues, especially thoughts on a workaround?

What's your definition for check_foo from the nrpe?  You mentioned
check_procs in the first statement, check_foo in the command call, and
check_cpu in the explanation of truncation... which is right? ;)

--
Jonathan Angliss
<jon at netdork.net>