Reporting from Nagios

Brian O'Mahony brian.omahony at curamsoftware.com
Wed Apr 29 14:19:21 CEST 2009

I have just installed Nagios 3.0.6 and have it working monitoring a Windows and a Linux host. I will add more hosts to it, once I have finished evaluating. However Im a bit boggled with all the options, and not sure exactly which way to procede with what I wanty to do, so thought id ask a few questions about the reporting aspect.

1. Is there a way to have a host/service monitored 24x7 but only send one mail when it goes unknown/critical, and another when its ok again? The reason for this is if I keep getting multiple mails every little while, I will just filter them off and not bother with them which will defeat the purpose. Either on a per service or per host basis is fine for me (or even a hostgrou[ basis).

2. Is there a way for example if all hosts in a group stop responding to send a single mail, rather than one for all hosts? I intend to put the hosts in groups based on which rack they are in, and would rather not get 30+ mails if the power to the rack goes.

That's about all I can think of right now, but the documentation has me a little confused.

Thanks in advance