Monitoring a HP-UX system

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Apr 28 20:49:31 CEST 2009

On Apr 28, 2009, at 12:52 PM, Palle L Jensen wrote:

> Hey List,
>
> I was wondering if anyone would know if it is possible to monitor a
> few things on a HP-UX system without installing anything on the
> server? We are unable to install anything, plugins, apps etc on the
> server, it’s a production server. Below is a description of the
> general requirements.
>
> The general requirements:
> - Cannot install anything on the system - it's a validated
> production system.
> - It runs a SSH server daemon that we'd like to monitor.
> - What I'd like to see is some way to have it connect to the
> specified port, read the banner and then just abort the connection.
> The purpose of this is that perhaps the Nagios system could read the
> banner response it gets, and if it is not what it's expected, or
> fails to receive a banner/login prompt, send an alert.

check_ssh does exactly this.

> I know that monitoring the ping is workable, but how about anything
> else, see above. Any help is much appreciated.

There are plugins to check just about every kind of externally exposed
service, both in the standard plugins and on nagiosexchange.org. This
is perhaps the most straightforward kind of monitoring that can be
done outside of check_ping, and isn't really any different. Just
identify the external services exposed (ssh, http, etc), and use the
plugins designed to check them.

SNMP, if enabled on the system, can be used to check things that
wouldn't normally be exposed externally, but I don't know if your
company considers an snmp daemon to be something 'installed'.

--
Marc