NRPE/Firewall issues: Assistance required.

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Tue Apr 28 18:53:47 CEST 2009

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:58:26 +0100, "Gabriel - IP Guys"
<Gabriel at impactteachers.com> wrote:

>I've managed to install my Nagios server (monitor), and it seems that
>all is well with it. The box to be monitored(client) has NRPE running on
>it. On monitor, I run

>$ CHECK_NRPE -H *client ip*

>I get the CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds error message

>On client I've run the command

>$ iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -dport 5666 -j ACCEPT

>This should allow all traffic directed to port 5666 to be accepted,
>which in turn should kick NRPE into life and have it return

This will append the rule to the end of the INPUT chain.  If you have
another rule that forwards incoming requests to a different chain for
processing, or you have a deny statement above it, this rule may never
be hit.  You might want to validate the rules:

  iptables -L INPUT

>NRPE v2.12
>I can't tell what I'm doing wrong here - as I'm sure I've done the right
>thing. Any advice on getting client talking to monitor via NRPE, things
>I should think about that could scupper the process would be
>appreciated.

You've ensured the service is actually running?  Tried doing a test
locally?

  telnet localhost 5666

Are you running nrpe via (x)inetd or daemon?  If running via (x)inetd,
did you remember to enable the service, tell it to listen on all
ports, and restart the service?

--
Jonathan Angliss
<jon at netdork.net>