Antwort: What are the reasons to use NRPE?

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Mon Apr 27 16:15:03 CEST 2009

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy at karlsbakk.net> schrieb am 27.04.2009 16:03:01:

> I just wonder what the reasons are to use NRPE in favour of checks
> over ssh with ssh keys. To me, NRPE seems just one more piece of
> software that may potentioally be broken and more hassle with
> firewalls. Why do people still use it when ssh checks are just as
> simple and (in my opinion) far more secure?

Because ssh has way more overhead especially because of the way
how the ssl connection is handled. Therefor a check_by_ssh check
takes longer then a check_nrpe check. This _is_ significant if
you are running 2k checks per minute like me and some other people.
Lots of check_by_ssh checks slow down the machine by a big degree
and check latency will skyrocket.

Regards
        Sascha

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Dr. Peter Jänsch (Vors.), Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Georg F. Thoma
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522