hint on service dependency configuration

Frank Altpeter frank.altpeter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 12:05:39 CEST 2009

Hi list,

I need a little input on a configuration problem. I've got a list of
hosts, which are running NRPE to check local services. So, if the nrpe
daemon on one of these hosts stops working, I get alarms for every
configured nrpe-check. Now I thought that the service dependency would
be the configuration of my choice to suppress multiple alarms. But I'm
a bit confused how to configure this correctly.
I'm checking the nrpe service itself on these hosts, and want to
suppress alarms for the other nrpe-based services if the nrpe check
fails. Is there a way to configure this in an optimized way, without
having one servicedependency block for each host and each nrpe check ?
As far as I understand servicedependency config, there can be multiple
hosts as dependent, but only one dependent service with one depending
host and service, which would be a pain to configure with 130 hosts :)

I would imagine doing something like that (for example):

# Suppress notifications for nrpe-based services if nrpe check itself fails
define servicedependency {
        host_name                	        *
	service_description		        NRPE
	dependent_host_name		$self
	dependent_service_description	DISKS,SWAP,USERS
	execution_failure_criteria	w,u,c,p
	notification_failure_criteria	o,w,u,c,p
}

Does anyone have an idea how to create something like that?

Le deagh dhùraghd,

        Frank Altpeter

There is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way.
    -- Buddha