Nagios - layered monitoring:

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Sat Apr 25 00:13:04 CEST 2009

2009/4/24 Jones, Stuart <Stuart.Jones at health.wa.gov.au>:
> I'm running Nagios 3.1 on Ubuntu 8.1 monitoring routers and switches. Has
> anyone come up with a methodology of limiting the alerts when say the
> primary router at a site fails impacting visibility to switches etc beyond
> the primary router?

So long as you specify the parent relationships in your host
definitions it's all pretty much automatic.  The thing to remember is
that although Nagios is intelligent enough only to send a (usually
email) notification for the primary router if a whole site is down,
all of the affected hosts will still show as down (or unreachable) in
the cgi.

When you say "limiting alerts", I'm assuming you mean the
notifications, not what appears on screen.

If you want to pinpoint where the problem is when lots of hosts are
down, I recommend you click on blocking outages in the tactical
overview screen.

hth,

Jim