only_from = 127.0.0.1

Fri Apr 24 09:10:19 CEST 2009

Replies embedded below...

Marc Powell wrote:
> On Apr 23, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Kevin Keane wrote:
>

>> Top-posting means that you put what you have to say at the top of the
>> reply the way I do it here. Bottom-posting means that you put your
>> reply
>> below the original message.
>>

> Don't forget about the best method, inline reply.

Yes, I should have said "inline reply" instead of "bottom posting"
everywhere (and my description also wasn't quite accurate. Should have
been "you put your reply below the point you are replying to"). True
bottom posting is possibly the worst of all options, but I did mean the
style that you, correctly, call "inline reply". Of course, if there is
only one point you are responding to, inline replying and bottom posting
are one and the same.
>> In the original Internet culture, bottom-posting was preferred, and
>> some
>>
> Actually, no. inline replying was and still is preferred for technical
> mailling lists. I'd hazard to say that's true the technical users on
> this list as well.
I've been around Usenet ever since Compuserve (remember them?) started
offering newsgroups, so I do remember the inline-replying culture quite
well. And you may have a point. Many of the technical users of today
(especially the experienced ones who tend to be the most prolific
posters) are old-timers like myself, which would explain the preference
among technical users. On the other hand, many people who started using
the Net in this century, including even people with IT college degrees,
have never seen inline replies, and don't even think to look below.
> The day you subscribe to a list via digest mode, you'll fully understand why. ;)

LOL, don't get me started on digest mode! If I had my way, either Digest
mode would be eliminated, or it would only be offered on lists that also
have a good Web interface so you can properly respond to older posts as
well as current ones (that's one of the reasons I much prefer Yahoo
groups to Sourceforge mailing lists).
>> In my mind, most of the time top posting actually is better because
>> the reply stands out more than the original question - which usually is what you want.
>>

> Not if you want to make multiple points without entirely restating
> what you're replying to. Try to make my responses sensible in a top or
> bottom posting context without doing that.

Agreed to some extent; in fact, I think I also listed that as an
advantage of inline reply (which I erroneously called bottom posting).

I'm saying "to an extent" because if you overdo it, you can also end up
with a completely chopped up discussion. It gets particularly convoluted
in political flame wars...

I also usually add one other enhancement when I do use inline replying:
I attach a note to the top "Replies embedded below" because many people
I reply to, especially in private emails, aren't familiar with inline
replying and otherwise wouldn't think to look below. In this case, of
course, it's unnecessary; I just did it for illustration purposes.
>> My personal rule: if there already is a longer thread, stick with
>> whatever style it has.
>>
> That's great! If it's a top or bottom post, you're increasing the
> redundancy of what's stored/sent in everyone's mail client, in the
> archives and most terribly, in the digests. by the number of replies
> to that thread.
That's got nothing much to do with top- or bottom- or inline-replying.
Cutting irrelevant old stuff out is a good thing no matter which style
you are using, although some people go overboard and cut out everything
at all (that's a fourth style of replying, and another universally bad
one: no quoting at all), and then you don't know what they are replying to.
>> * technically speaking, there is a still-valid RFC that specifies
>> bottom-posting, but in practical terms it has been obsoleted by
>> history.
>>

> That's arguable, but could approach the passion level of a discussion
> of religion.

Is it getting hot here or what? :-))

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.