only_from = 127.0.0.1

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Apr 23 20:40:13 CEST 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Kevin Keane wrote:

> Top-posting means that you put what you have to say at the top of the
> reply the way I do it here. Bottom-posting means that you put your
> reply
> below the original message.

Don't forget about the best method, inline reply.

> In the original Internet culture, bottom-posting was preferred, and
> some

Actually, no. inline replying was and still is preferred for technical
mailling lists. I'd hazard to say that's true the technical users on
this list as well. The day you subscribe to a list via digest mode,
you'll fully understand why. ;)

> In my mind, most of the time top posting actually is better because
> the reply stands out more than the
> original question - which usually is what you want.

Not if you want to make multiple points without entirely restating
what you're replying to. Try to make my responses sensible in a top or
bottom posting context without doing that.

> The majority of mailing lists that I am on seems to have switched to
> primarily top-posting,

fooey. heh

> though, and most of the big email programs make
> it quite difficult to do bottom-posting. When you hit Reply, the
> cursor
> is usually positioned at the top of the page, not at the bottom.

Double fooey. It's laziness. Not configuring the client to do it or
get as close as possible and not using the highlight-delete combo :P I
used Outlook for years, arguably the initiator of the top-posting
epidemic, and had no problems responding in text/plain and inline.

> My personal rule: if there already is a longer thread, stick with
> whatever style it has.

That's great! If it's a top or bottom post, you're increasing the
redundancy of what's stored/sent in everyone's mail client, in the
archives and most terribly, in the digests. by the number of replies
to that thread. Brilliant <G>. My personal rule is to use the style of
the person who appears to be most able to answer whatever question I
have ;) That's almost always inline as hackers see top/bottom posting
as a waste of space/bandwidth/time.

> * technically speaking, there is a still-valid RFC that specifies
> bottom-posting, but in practical terms it has been obsoleted by
> history.

That's arguable, but could approach the passion level of a discussion
of religion.

--
Marc