Looking for a plugin to check print spool queues on Windows 2003 server.

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Apr 23 09:52:42 CEST 2009

2009/4/23 Matthew Stier <Matthew.Stier at us.fujitsu.com>:

> I've adapted a Perl script to do a per-queue check of Solaris print server.
> I'd like to have the same functionality for my site's Windows 2003 print
> server.
>
> There seems to be a plethora of CPU and DISK plugins, but nothing as simple
> as checking the status of a printers queue size. (Or that the queue may be
> stuck. [Same job a the top of the stack after 'X' checks.])
>
> At my site all Sun and Linux workstations print jobs are routed to a single
> Unix print server, and then to the network attached printers.  Dittos for
> the Windows side.

There are various performance counters in Windows which you can query
using NSClient++, nc_net or whatever.  In my nsc.ini (NSClient++)
config for example, I have:

PrintQJobsSpooling=inject CheckCounter "Counter:jobs=\Print
Queue(_Total)\Jobs Spooling" ShowAll MaxWarn=10 MaxCrit=25
PrintQJobs=inject CheckCounter "Counter:jobs=\Print
Queue(_Total)\Jobs" ShowAll MaxWarn=250 MaxCrit=500
PrintQNotRdyErrs=inject CheckCounter "Counter:queues=\Print
Queue(_Total)\Not Ready Errors" ShowAll MaxWarn=25 MaxCrit=50

Although looking at my graphs, I'm not convinced I've ever seen
anything useful from the Print Queue(_Total)\Not Ready Errors counter.

hth,

Jim